Sunday, January 30, 2011

Lollygagging.....To dawdle; to be lazy or idle; to avoid necessary work or effort.

I have had the most amazing week in Santa Teresa. On the day of my last update it was Australia Day and I enjoyed a brilliant day and evening with my new friends. 


After Vegemite for breakfast we all donned Australian flag tattoos (fake ones) on our arms and J Lee, Simon, Ed and I headed to the high seas for a fishing expedition, quite a fruitful one. Four hours later we returned to shore with a load of fish including Yellowfin Tuna and Snapper and headed back to the hostel to meet up with Shawn. The evening ensued with a beach bonfire, fresh tuna sashimi, fire barbequed whole fish, ceviche, roast yuca and many Imperials. Ed played beer can drums, I played an instrument made from the bbq grill(!) and J Lee sang songs. In tribute to Australia Day Waltzing Matilda got a rousing rendition and we stared up at the dark but clear sky and marveled at the millions of bright gleaming stars above us as the day came to an end. We headed back from the beach, Ed and Simon called it a night and J Lee, Shawn and I went onto partake in some tequila shots and a bit of karaoke action.I am sure the Ticos will never think of Madonna's "Like a Virgin" in quite the same way again...come to think of it neither will I!


Truly the best Australia Day ever.


My new dorm mates quickly become new and wonderful friends, the next evening we all headed out towards Cabano to see the Rodeo, Shawn was the only was of us game enough to set foot inside the ring and get close to one angry bull. The following day while the surfers hit the waves yet again Shawn and I hit the zip lines. The Canopy Tour was high in the hills of Mal Pais and consisted of seven zip lines, the longest one 500 meters. I was nervous at first but by the time I came to the long run I was loving it, screaming as I hurtled through the forest past birds and monkeys and enjoying some incredible views.


Yesterday I got myself a new tattoo, its on my arm and out in the open for everyone to see. It is an image the represents the title of my blog, I will post a picture up soon so you can all check it out, I love it. I am considering it to be the end of my corporate career and the beginning of something new and exciting. 


My week of lollygagging and hanging out with my new friends was quickly coming to an end, Shawn headed back to the US yesterday and today the rest of us have all moved on from Santa Teresa. 


I have arrived in Montezuma and tomorrow I will start Spanish and Yoga classes at La Escuela De Sol (http://www.laescueladelsol.com/) which is my base camp for the next week. I realised yesterday that for the next week I actually have to apply myself to something instead of just drinking beer and sunning myself! I have four hours of Spanish every morning and 90 minutes of Yoga each evening, with the afternoon to do as I please. Come this time next week my Spanish should be much improved, I am looking forward to being able to communicate with a bit more confidence.



When I set out traveling this morning I read a book that had a profound impact on me, it was so sad but amazing and made me think a lot about the people that are important and special to me. I couldn't put the book down and finished it a couple hours later, it is a bestseller and many of you may have already read it but if not I encourage you do so. It is called "Tuesdays with Morrie" and is written by Mitch Albom. 

Hasta Luego!








No comments:

Post a Comment